Sunday, April 17, 2011

Fallen

Author's Note: Here is post I decided to do based off of Coldplay's Viva La Vida. There are a lot references back to the song in this seeing as I was listening to it as I wrote this. I think the idea of eternal damnation and the way the person whom the song talks about is at peace with it is fascinating and I tried to get that at the end of this piece. 

Smooth road is stretched before me, its flawless perfection is something seemingly impossible but yet here it is. Golden glimmers catch the light of a bright sun above, the road seems to float among perfect white and fluffy clouds stark against the deep blue background. My hands stay in my pockets to shield myself from whatever might come, my back is hunched against an unknown force curling protectively around my body. Each step is a step towards the end of this road, each step brings back memories as I draw closer to the Gates.

I remember my younger days, when I ruled all, everything was at my beck and call. The sense of power and glory was gratifying whenever I heard my people yelling shouts of praise "Long live the King!" they used to cry. I was feared by all, going into battle I relished the feeling of the terror I could sense from my enemies. All Kings fall at one point, most of the time it is death, but for me it was not so. It was like a big mind game to be king, no one was honest and their words meant nothing their only purpose was to twist the thoughts running through my head, but this was when I ruled the world.

I remember the horrified looks I received after the Incident, none could believe what I had done, what I had become especially me. My world fell apart the one so strong castle I had crumbled into sand, I had just opened the door to Life when with one small action it was closed to me. Slowly I crawled my way from King to the lowest form of life possible, my hands worked and tended, took care of things I used to sweep past in all of my arrogance. Noticing not the people who did what I do know.

My sleeping place was right near the Cathedral, and that last cold night that seems far off but was not so long ago, I heard the music pouring out from the doors. Beautiful it was, bell rang amongst the choir as they sang, I can imagine I can hear it right now, on this golden road that gives the illusion of being steady but I can fell the faint swaying. The music that I thought was just in my head is growing louder with each step and look up from my hunched gait, the music that is flowing out of the gates is a thousand times more beautiful than anything that has ever met my ears. At the front of tall and elegant gates stands a man, he seems to be waiting for me, in fact I know he is. This is Saint Peter. I reach him in a state far from apprehension in fact it is more like peace. I know what my verdict will be I do not know how, but I know. Saint Peter looks upon me, nodding his head once to confirm that I was indeed right.

4 comments:

  1. This is really interesting -- writing a song as a piece of prose. I don't believe I've ever seen this before. I love it. I really like how you are taping something creative here, and deciding to really reach. The author's note helps clarify things because without it there could be a lot of questions. I've often been inspired by music I was listening to. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! You did such a good job incorporating things from the song while still making the story interesting. It really helped listening to the song while reading it too! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love these kinds of things- unlike Mr. J, I've read a lot of songs interpreted as sort of a fanfiction type thing. I think I've heard them called songfiction? Songfics? Ignore me, I'm not even sure what I'm talking about. Anyway, I love this song and this piece flowed really well with it. The symbolism/connection to the song was extremely good. Nice job, Claire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a very cool idea! I was actually going over the song in my head as I was reading this. This piece really captures the feeling of the song, and I think it's great that you thought "outside the box" with the story. Great job and I might actually try doing this too!

    ReplyDelete